Thursday, August 2, 2007

Week 7 Thing 16 Lovin' the Wiki Wiki Wiki!

Yeah the fun is back for Maryland 23 Things! Took long enough. I was getting bored out of my mind with some of these "Things". Since I love to read, when I am not in school and boggled down with tens of thousands of papers that need to be written, I LOVE to read! Hell, I work in a library for goodness sakes. I had to choose the BookLoversWiki and I love it and can see how a website like this can work for libraries.

When you have those customers who are looking for a good book, but they have NO idea what author or topic to read, they can visit the BookLoversWiki and get ideas on several different pieces of literature that people have posted. WHAT A GRAND IDEA! No more taking guesses at what YOU think a customer might enjoy reading, let them do the work THEMSELVES! A website can even be created, which it probably already does, in which people can post what they think about a book and give it an overall rating.

If I have learned NOTHING else in my eight years with BCPL, I know that customers like to know what just came back. Many think like "Hmm, if someone else checked it out, it MUST me good!" So they will then grab it to check out! ANYTHING TO BUILD UP CIRCS....AM I RIGHT?!?!?

Wikis can also be created to give the patrons opportunities to talk to staff. We are always trying to guess and figure out what the patron wants. Why do that when we can give them the opportunity to speak directly with staff. I read before that the library is the community...which I believe is true. We are here to serve the community. In saying that, we need to be able to LISTEN to the community to find out exactly what they want in their library. Granted, everything they want may not be feasible to obtain, but at least we can get an idea. Be it what types of books they want to read to whether or not they want more computers, Wikis can give the community an opportunity to speak directly to us and one another. We are hear for the customer, right? Why not show them how much we really care by asking THEIR opinions.

No comments: